Return to Carrick

On Monday, we returned to excavate Cutting 1 for a bit before going to Carrick again. Although it was hard, we managed to mattock the site down enough to start troweling and prepare for planning. The trip back to Carrick was a nice break. Despite having the same itinerary as the last time, there are some new experiences that enhanced the trip. On this trip, we managed to find the correct way down to the river, so I was able to see the river well. We also had more time to explore the medieval church, determining what architectural features make up the church. After the church, we went back to the entrance of Belmont house, then back to site to end the day.

Here is a better view of the river.
Remains of the Carrick Church

Final excavations and Clean Up

In the following two days, we were busy in cleaning Cutting 1 in preparation for the photos, planning, and sectioning of the site. On Tuesday, the intern and I worked hard to fully trowel the site and remove any noticeable debris. It was a full day job, but we managed to finish troweling in time for inspection the next day. The next day was a rainy day, so there was not much done. However, before the rain started to be heavy, I managed to take the site photos. Afterwards, I started the plan indoors when it started to really rain hard. I also worked on the IAFS blog posts as they were also needed. The rain stopped during the day, so I took advantage of that to plot the posthole on the plan. Once, done I spent the rest of the day preparing for tomorrows plan.

The Problematic Plan

On Thursday, we spent the entire day planning the last features. At first, the intern and I thought that the planning would be quite easy as we only had a few points to plot out. However, as we started plotting, something was off. The plots of the feature were off and did not conform to the spacing of the old plans. At first, we thought that there was a problem with our reading of the measurements, however we realized that it was much worse. Turns out, the points of the edge of the cutting did not match with the previous ones. As a result, we had to replot the plan to make sense of the new points. After, plotting the points, we plotted the remaining features where their points now made sense. We then plotted the levels and completed the plan by the end of the day.  

The problematic plan itself

First Section

Finally moving away from the plan, we began to start sections. Sectioning is quite easy, once one manages to set it up properly. At first, we did not know how to properly set up the section, so we asked for help in setting up form one of the site supervisors. After his help, we took levels to ensure that the string across from the section edge is level. After a few tries, we got the string level and began the section. The measuring of the section was easy as we only had to measure the layers up to the string. As such, we spent the entire day doing the section, finishing it and the day by drawing the rocks in.

Our section set-up. Note the posts and the string.
Not bad for a first section

Share This Article

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp

Subscribe to our newsletter

Don't miss new updates on your email