Just when I thought I was getting the hang of everything ‘Ireland’, something new surprises me! Below is a quick list of
5 things I didn’t know about Ireland
- The police are called the Gardaí or “the guards”.
- The Gardaí do not carry guns.
- The paper size is different. This really messed me up on my first week in the office when I was trying to print. The paper is longer and thinner than the paper back home in the US!
- Keyboards are set-up just a little bit differently. I am not sure why, but this was not something that I ever really thought about before using an Irish laptop. I use an Irish laptop at work and my American laptop at home. Surprisingly, it isn’t too difficult to switch back and forth between, but the spell check drives me nuts! (haha)
- I have yet to meet an unfriendly person. I have been in Ireland for over two months and everyone has been super friendly. It doesn’t matter what town I am in or what I am doing, I have yet to meet anyone who has been unkind to me. It reminds me a lot of the mid-west and of home!
– Katie May, Indiana State University